I know there are those of you out there who won't believe this, but Jared and I just finished our first sprint triathlon. It was 0.6 miles of (horrible, I thought I might drown, what was I thinking?) open water swim, followed by 16.6 miles of (thankfully flat) biking, and then 3.1 miles (it had to be at least 4 ) of running. OK. So I don't really run. It's more of a very slow jog. But at least I very slowly jogged the whole thing. I didn't stop once!
I even have witnesses. Not just one or two. But like 30 of them! And pictures. Lots of pictures. But I look really bad in most of them so I won't share very many.
Here's the pre-race picture of Jared and his friends. The one second from the left has been doing triathlons for a while and he challenged every one else to join him.
Maybe if I publish enough pictures of Jared with funny looks on his face he will quit making them when someone is taking a picture.
Here's the post-race picture. I wish they had taken the picture from a different angle. I sure look fat! And why do all of Jared's friends have skinnier legs than I do?
See that green t-shirt slung over my shoulder? They don't give those out until you complete the triathlon.
All-in-all it was a good experience. Except for the swim!
Here's what I learned:
1) I still need to loose a lot of weight. Did you see those pictures?
2) I am really white. Not sure what to do about that. I don't really tan.
3) Jared has great friends. They all stuck around until I finished. (That was over an hour for most of them.) Scott even came looking for me. And Craig ran with me the last quarter mile. I assumed they would take their families back to the hotel for breakfast. But they waited for me. Amazing!
4) Jared's friends have wonderful wives. Not only did they bring my kids to the race, but they kept an eye on them during the race. Thanks Beth, Mari and Michelle!
5) I think I'll do another triathlon . . . but only after a lot of swim practice.
P.S. I forgot to mention the fact that Jared ran with me the last mile. Thanks for the support!
I even have witnesses. Not just one or two. But like 30 of them! And pictures. Lots of pictures. But I look really bad in most of them so I won't share very many.
Maybe if I publish enough pictures of Jared with funny looks on his face he will quit making them when someone is taking a picture.
All-in-all it was a good experience. Except for the swim!
Here's what I learned:
1) I still need to loose a lot of weight. Did you see those pictures?
2) I am really white. Not sure what to do about that. I don't really tan.
3) Jared has great friends. They all stuck around until I finished. (That was over an hour for most of them.) Scott even came looking for me. And Craig ran with me the last quarter mile. I assumed they would take their families back to the hotel for breakfast. But they waited for me. Amazing!
4) Jared's friends have wonderful wives. Not only did they bring my kids to the race, but they kept an eye on them during the race. Thanks Beth, Mari and Michelle!
5) I think I'll do another triathlon . . . but only after a lot of swim practice.
P.S. I forgot to mention the fact that Jared ran with me the last mile. Thanks for the support!
7 comments:
Congrats Jan (and Jared)! I am thoroughly impressed!
P.S. My brother looks old. When did that happen?
Good Job! I feel like I should be doing something.
Jan you did great! And you do not look fat OR white. You DO have skinny legs! You hung in there with all those boys. There is something to be said for the fact that you even got IN to that lake..and came out! :)
Great job Jan! You are seriously my hero now. I would LOVE to do a sprint triathalon. At least in theory I would love to. I have thought about it for years and years and years, and yet have never had the guts to try. I am so proud of you! And maybe I can get my act together and get ready for the one in December you mentioned.
Oh, I'm so jealous!!!! I'm scared to death of the swim, otherwise I'd love to do a triathlon! I'm so proud of you, Jan and Jared!!! That's awesome.
P.S. You are NOT fat! Weight?!?! What are you talking about?!?! You're awesome, Jan. :)
Congrats! Way to go. I think it's awesome you went through with it - doesn't it feel great to accomplish it? As for the white legs - I guess we're just cursed because there's not a darn thing to do about them.
WAY TO GO JAN!! I am so impressed. Anyone that can complete a triathlon is awesome in my book! BTW, I think you look great in the picture. You don't look fat at all. Keep it up. Oh, My niece-in-law ran in a triathlon in Utah that was a team race. One gal swam, one ran, the other biked. That way you could get out of the swimming. Just a thought.
Post a Comment